Gynopedia needs your support! Please consider contributing content, translating a page, or making a donation today. With your support, we can sustain and expand the website. Gynopedia has no corporate sponsors or advertisers. Your support is crucial and deeply appreciated.


From Gynopedia
Revision as of 02:19, 24 July 2017 by Laine M (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Other languages:
English • ‎français
Seoul-410269 960 720.jpg


As the largest city in South Korea, Seoul has fantastic and varied medical services. Contraceptives can be purchased at pharmacies over-the-counter though you need a doctor's prescription for emergency contraception. While many facilities offer STD tests, it is important to exercise caution and choose anonymous testing centers. If you are a foreigner and test positive for HIV/AIDS or syphilis, you will most likely be deported from South Korea. While abortion is illegal, there are accounts of women secretly obtaining abortions. If you are pregnant and have the means to travel, it is advisable to seek abortions elsewhere, such as in mainland China, Hong Kong or Japan.

For women seeking counseling or shelter, there are many resources available in Seoul (see below for details). Also, with its large expat community, Seoul and South Korea in general have many resources available to English speakers and foreigners.

Contraception (Birth Control)

General Note: There are many types of contraceptives, also known as "birth control," including IUDs, oral contraceptives, patches, shots, and condoms, etc. If you would like to view a full list, click here.

Laws & Social Stigmas

Contraceptives are completely legal in South Korea, and they can typically be purchased without a prescription.[1] You can buy many birth control brands, like Mercilon, without a prescription at pharmacies (if you ask the pharmacist for it). However, some contraceptive brands may require a prescription. For example, a female backpacker said that South Korean pharmacists told her that she needed a prescription for Yasmin.

In 2012, President Pak Geun-Hye and his conservative government announced that the Korean Food & Drug Administration was considering reclassification of birth control pills, which would make the pills prescription-only. This caused public outrage and wide online discussion of the issue. Three months later, the proposal was dropped. It was decided to put the reclassification on hold for three years -- and, to this day, it seems to remain on hold. As reported in Korea Bang, "Asides from the 'woman’s right to choose' argument, one of the reasons Korean women get upset over the issue is perhaps cultural: unmarried Korean women rarely visit a gynaecologist. Even when seriously ill, a visit to a gynaecology clinic would be reluctant for fear of the disapproving stares around them. That’s not to mention the social pressure on Korean women to remain sexually naïve."[2]

According to a 2015 UN report, it was found that 78.7% of South Korean women (who were married/in unions and of reproductive age) used some form contraception. The most common methods were condoms (23.9%), male sterilization (16.5%), IUDs (12.6%), the rhythm method (9.7%) and female sterilization (5.8%).[3] Meanwhile, the usage of birth control pills by South Korean was very low, with estimates ranging between 2%[4] and 2.8%.[5] Many men and women also underwent the forced sterilization programs of the 1970s and 1980s.[6]

What to Get & Where to Get It

  • For a comprehensive list of contraceptive options in South Korea, click here.
  • In Korean, birth control pills are 피임약 (pronounced "pi-im yak"), and they can be purchased in pharmacies. The most popular brand in South Korea is Mercilon (머시론), which is produced by Merck (an American pharmaceutical company). However, there are many other pill options, including Alesse, Diane-35, Meliane, Minivlar, Minulet, Myvlar, Sexcon, Triquilar, Yasmin and Yaz.[7] There's also 에이리스, which is a low hormone option, costs about 10,000 won for a 21-pill pack. Another brand is 멜리안정 (me-li-an-jung), but some users have reported loss of sex drive. There's also 센스리베.
  • You can purchase condoms in convenience stores, pharmacies, Olive Young, Watson's, and sometimes in subway vending machines.
  • You can get the Nuvaring in South Korea, but only at large pharmacies and they need to order it one day in advance because it is a rare request. It is not kept in stock. It considered only for young women, so a pharmacy near a university is a good option. One pharmacy that can definitely get it it is the one located next door to Miz Medi hospital on Dogok-ro in Daechi-dong, half way between the Hanti and Daechi stops. Please note that NuvaRing is NOT covered by the Korean national insurance, unlike other birth controls.
  • If you want the contraceptive patch, Evra (produced by Janssen-Cilag) should be available in South Korea.[8]
  • If you want the contraceptive implant, Implanon (produced by Merck) should be available in South Korea.[9]
  • As for IUDs in South Korea, one poster on Reddit wrote: "IUDs are great, but the general consensus over here, unlike in the US, is that they're bad for unmarried women, so she may have trouble getting a doctor to consider it here. I had a hospital gynecologist here who tried very hard to convince me to have mine taken out.[10]

Here's a helpful table provided by one Gynopedia user (has some details on available birth control pills):

Product name


Prescribing information

How to buy?



2nd generation





Ethinyl estradiol 0.03mg

Levonorgestrel 0.15mg

Take one hormone-containing tablet daily for 21 consecutive days. Then discontinue the tablet for 7 consecutive days. Withdrawal bleeding usually occurs within 2 to 3 days following discontinuation.

Over the counter



Ethinyl estradiol 0.02mg

Levonorgestrel 0.1mg



Ethinyl estradiol 0.03/0.04/0.03mg

Levonorgestrel 0.05/0.075/0.125mg

3rd generation





Ethinyl estradiol 0.03mg

Gestodene 0.075mg




(Dear me)



Ethinyl estradiol 0.02mg

Gestodene 0.075mg



Ethinyl estradiol 0.02mg

Desogestrel 0.15mg

4th generation



Ethinyl estradiol 0.03mg

Drospirenone 3mg

Only prescription.



Ethinyl estradiol 0.02mg

Drospirenone 3mg

It contains 28 tablets. You should take one light pink pill daily for 24 consecutive days, followed by one white inert pill daily on Days 25 through 28.



Estradiol valerate 3/2/1mg

Dienogest 2/3mg

It contains 28 tablets. Tablets must be taken in the order directed on the wallet pack every day at about the same time. One tablet is to be taken daily for 28 consecutive days. Each subsequent pack is started the day after the last tablet of the previous wallet


Recommended Clinics/Pharmacies:

  • MediFlower Clinic near 교대 is great


Birth control pills are 6-8,000 won for one month’s supply.

Emergency Contraception (Morning After Pill)

Important Notes: Emergency contraception may prevent pregnancy for three days (72 hours) and sometimes five days (120 hours) after unprotected sex. Take EC as soon as possible after unprotected sex. If you don't have access to dedicated EC, oral contraceptives can be used as replacement EC, but remember the following: 1) Only some contraceptives work as EC 2) Different contraceptives require different dosages and time schedules to work as EC 3) You must only use the first 21 pills in 28-day packs and 4) They may be less effective than dedicated EC. For general information on emergency contraceptives, click here and here. Copper IUDs may also prevent pregnancy up to 5 days after unprotected sex.

Laws & Social Stigmas

Morning after pills (사후 피임약) are only available with a prescription. As explained by the International Consortium for Emergency Contraception, "EC currently still requires a prescription. Although in August 2012 the Korean Food and Drug Administration (KFDA) decided to repeal an earlier initiative that would have approved EC for over-the-counter use, due to intense debate within the country among various stakeholders, the KFDA abandoned the reclassification initiative."[12]

What to Get & Where to Get It

Note: The longest-lasting EC is currently ellaOne. It lasts up to 5 days (120 hours) after unprotected sex. Check to see if your country carries ellaOne. If your country doesn't carry ellaOne, copper IUDs may also prevent pregnancy up to 5 days after unprotected sex. If none of these options are available, and it's been over 3 days since you had unprotected sex, you can still take EC, which may work up to 5 days. Note that EC pills are not 100% effective and should be taken as soon as possible.

To get an EC prescription, you will need to go to a doctor. It is recommended to visit a women's clinic for the prescription rather than a hospital. You will find it especially difficult to secure an EC prescription at a Christian hospital. When you are seeking EC, it is customary that the doctor will ask some questions about your cycle, last period, etc. After they have written a prescription, you can bring it to a pharmacy ("yak-guk" in Korean).

For dedicated EC that is anti-progestin, there's ellaOne (take 1 pill within 120 hours after unprotected sex). For dedicated EC that is progestin only, there's After1, Norlevo One and Postinor 1 (take 1 pill within 120 hours after unprotected sex). There's also Levonia, Levonormin, MS Pill and Sexcon One&One (take 2 pills within 120 hours after unprotected sex). If you absolutely cannot secure emergency contraceptives, you can use some oral contraceptives as EC instead. In Korea, there's Minivlar or Sexcon (take 4 pills within 120 hours after unprotected sex and take 4 more pills 12 hours later) or Alesse (take 5 pills within 120 hours after unprotected sex and take 5 more pills 12 hours later).[13]


The morning after pill should only cost between 10,000 and 20,000 won. The doctor's visit might cost around 10,000 won.

Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs/STDs)

Important Notes - Learn about PEP and PrEP: If you think that you've been recently exposed to HIV (i.e. within 72 hours), seek out PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis). It's a month-long treatment to prevent HIV infection after exposure, and it may be available in your city. Take PEP as soon as possible. For more information, click here. If you are at risk of HIV exposure, seek out PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis). It's a daily oral pill that can prevent HIV infection before exposure. To learn more about PrEP, click here.

Laws & Social Stigmas

The South Korean government does not allow foreigners with HIV/AIDS or syphilis to enter the country. If you come as a tourist to South Korea, you will not be tested for HIV/AIDS. But, if you are a foreign teacher, you will typically be required to take an HIV test before working in Korea. If foreigners are found to be HIV+ or have syphilis, they will most likely be deported. As for locals with HIV/AIDS, there seems to be no special treatment centers in South Korea. There also no known distributors or trials for PrEP. The word for AIDS in Korean is 에이즈, or "eijeu." If you test positive for HIV or syphilis, and if you are a teacher, contact Legal Office For Foreign Teachers (LOFT) to discuss your options.

In Korean society, STI/STD tests do not appear to be common. Many people hold the perception that they are "clean" though they may have never been tested. While STD rates are lower, particularly for HIV/AIDS, than in many other countries, South Korea is certainly not STD-free, and people should always practice safe sex.

What to Get & Where to Get It

Larger Hospitals

Note: These larger hospitals may not do anonymous testing, so they may report your results to Korean authorities.

  • Yongsan Public Health Center: Tests for hepatitis, STD test, blood, and urine tests. If you're not covered by public insurance, Yongsan provides free checks for foreigners. Call 02-2199-8161 (Korean only). Often there is no one at the center who speaks a language other than Korean. You can contact 1339 (medical help line) for assistance while you're at the center. The health center is located in the Yongsan District Office building. Go out Exit 3 of Noksapyeong Station (Line 6, Stop 628). Head toward Itaewon, crossing the street at the light. Right after you cross, turn right, heading toward Banpo Bridge. Walk about 2-3 minutes - the Yongsan District Office is the hug building right by the Crown Hotel.
  • Severance Hospital - Does STD tests and has an international clinic for foreigners. It is one of the oldest and biggest university hospitals in South Korea. Address: 50-1 Yonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul, South Korea. Phone: +82 1599-1004.
  • Ansan Hospital: May only test for HIV/AIDS. Korea University Medical Center 73, Inchon-ro, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul 02841.

Specialized Clinics

While you can get an STD test at many hospitals, they may not be anonymous. Here is a list of some more specialized places (which are more likely to provide anonymous tests):

  • Korea Federation for HIV/AIDS Prevention (KHAP): Provides free & anonymous tests for HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, urethritis. Their HIV test are only for foreigners ("Our Testing both HIV Rapid and STD at any centers is offering basically for foreigners, not Koreans. Koreans are not available."). Reservation required by phone or website. Address: 30-6. Donam 1-dong Seongbuk-gu. 136-890. SEOUL KOREA ㆍTEL.82-2-927-4322 ㆍFax.82-2-927-4017,
  • International Clinic: Provides STD tests, supposedly anonymously, and you can pay cash. "International Clinic was founded in 1987 with the goal of providing advanced and personalized health care for expatriates residing in Korea and travelers to Korea. The International clinic is a modern, full-service medical clinic specializing safe and effective natural therapies for medical conditions, including anti-aging programs." Address: 501 Hannam building, 737-37 Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Korea 140-212. Phone Number: 82-2-790-0857. They have a website with an online reservation system but it often seems to be down.
  • Ivan Stop HIV/AIDS Project: Tests for the Korean gay community. Full-time gay staff and volunteers. May also test for women as well. Contact them to inquire. Seoul Center: Nagwon-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 109-1 and Tel.02-792-0083 and Fax.02-744-9118.

Remember: Anonymous testing is especially important in South Korea where foreigners can be deported for positive results.


Medications & Vaccines

Laws & Social Stigmas

What to Get & Where to Get It

  • For nearly all medications in Korea, you need a prescription from a doctor.
  • For yeast infection medication, you can ask for the "Canesten" at the pharmacy (though I believe you need a prescription first), which is similar to Monistat or Lotrimin. Pharmacies should have both the cream and suppository types of Canesten. The word for suppository in Korean is "좌약" (prounounced as "jwa yak").
  • For UTIs, you will also need to see a doctor for treatment. Be sure to specify that you believe it is a UTI, otherwise the doctors may assume that you have an STI (due to the burning sensation).
  • For herpes (수포진, or "supojin" in Korean), Valtrex is not readily available (as of 2012), but there is a generic version in Korea.
  • Regarding HPV vaccines, the government approved Gardasil for females (ages 9-26) and males (9-15) in 2007. Since 2016, it has been a part of the National Immunization Program, and all children under 12 in South Korea receive the vaccination free of charge.
  • Regarding HIV medication, the Korean government seems to bar foreigners with HIV/AIDS from entering the country. It also requires that all foreign teachers take HIV tests. If foreigners are found to be HIV+, they will most likely be deported. As for locals with HIV/AIDS, there seem to be no special treatment centers in South Korea.
  • There also no known distributors or trials for PrEP. The word for AIDS in Korean is 에이즈, or "eijeu."



Note: In addition to pads and tampons, you can also use menstrual cups and menstrual underwear for your period. To learn more about menstrual cups, click here. To learn more about menstrual underwear, click here.

Laws & Social Stigmas

While tampons are available, they are not sold everywhere, as most South Korean women only use them for swimming.

What to Get & Where to Get It

  • Pads are available at convenience stores, often sold in “bulky” sizes.
  • Tampons with and without applicators are available but the brand selection is pretty limited.
  • While menstrual cups can be difficult to find in South Korea, you have some options. There are some online retailers that sell menstrual cups, such as GMarket and iHerb, which sells DivaCup and ships to South Korea, according to this article. Also, here's an an article with instructions/helpful tips on ordering iHerb products from South Korea. Note that menstrual cups are still a new concept to many South Korean women. Finally, some people may choose to purchase menstrual cups abroad (for personal use) and bring them to South Korea. In the East Asian region, there are local sellers of menstrual cups in many countries/territories, such as Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore. You can check out this menstrual cup map as a starting point (it's not at all comprehensive but it's a useful reference). For more information on menstrual cups in South Korea, you can read this informative blog post (from 2010, in English) or this blog post (from 2010, in Korean), which went viral.


Gynecological Exams

Laws & Social Stigmas

What to Get & Where to Get It

  • Medi-Flower OB/GYN Clinic - Recommended. Located next to the Seoul National University of Education Metro stop. The female Korean doctor speaks English.
  • Miz Medi Hospital - Recommended. Located next to the Daechi Metro stop. They often take care of random other health needs, e.g. vitamin shots, for patients who are in for reproductive health purposes. The female Korean doctor, Dr. Yum, speaks perfect English. The phone number is 02-3467-3796.


At a reputable women's clinic, some example of service costs without national insurance coverage: Sonogram- 60,000 won Removal of an IUD- 25,000 won Consultation fee- 15,000 won Vitamin D shot- 15,000 won

If you qualify for national insurance within one week of your services, you have 7 days to go back to most clinics and get a refund because the clinic can retroactively charge the national insurance plan. This information is based on the Miz Medi clinic in Daechi, Seoul.


Laws & Social Stigmas

What to Get & Where to Get It

Check out this fantastic list of Hospitals and Birthing Centers in Korea, updated in 2016, and Doulas, Prenatal, Postpartum, and Breastfeeding Support in Korea, compiled in 2013. And here's a list of International Clinics and Hospitals in Seoul.



Important Note: There are two main types of abortions: medical (also known as the "abortion pill") and surgical (also known as "in-clinic"). For medical abortions, you take a pill to induce abortion. For surgical abortions, a procedure is performed to induce abortion. For general information about medical and surgical abortions, click here.

Laws & Social Stigmas

Abortion is illegal in South Korea, except in special cases. While the original law in 1953 restricted all abortion, this was changed in 1973 under the Maternal and Child Health Law. With these changes, an abortion could be performed by a physician if 1) the pregnant woman or her spouse suffer from a hereditary mental/physical disease specified by Presidential Decree 2) the pregnant woman or her spouse suffer from a communicable disease specified by Presidential Decree 3) the pregnancy was caused by rape or incest 4) the continuation of the pregnancy threatens the woman's life. In all other cases, abortion is illegal and a woman who induces her own abortion may be subject to imprisonment for one year or a fine. Medical personnel who illegally induce an abortion may face up to two years of imprisonment.

However, Misoprostol (the abortion pill) seems to be available as Misel. It's not clear if you need to buy it online or if you can get it in select hospitals. To get abortion pill online, contact Women on Web for instructions. To try to find the pill or other services in Seoul, check out the next section below.

If you're interested in obtaining an abortion in an East Asian country with more lenient abortion laws, you may want to check out Japan, China, Hong Kong, or Vietnam.

If you would like to read personal accounts of getting an abortion in Korea, check out these links:

What to Get & Where to Get It

  • Planned Parenthood Federation of Korea (PPFK): Youngdeungpo-gu dangsan-dong, 6ga 121-146 Seoul 150-808. Tel: +82(2) 467 8201, (2)2634 8211 . Fax: +82(2) 467 1394
  • Hosan Hospital: To read a testimonial, please read this blog, which details the experience in two posts. Tel.: 546-3674, Address: 617-5 Shinsa-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul.
  • Mirae Wha Heenang (Future and Hope) Clinic. Tel.: 3446-0011. 532-7 Shinsa-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul.


Advocacy & Counseling

Laws & Social Stigmas

What to Get & Where to Get It

  • Emergency Support Centers for Migrant Women ((이주여성긴급지원센터)): Provides 24/7 emergency support and shelter services for all foreign women, regardless of nationality, who have been victims of family violence, sexual assault and prostitution. Counseling services in 11 languages (Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, English, Tagalog, Russian, Thai, Mongolian, Cambodian, Uzebek, and Japanese). Telephone: 1577-1366 (no area code required when dialed from ANY type of phone within South Korea), Address: 3rd Floor, Central Place, Seosomunno, Jung-Gu, Seoul, Email: or
  • Emergency Call Line (Hotline) for Women(여성긴급전화): Tel 1577-1366 (available in English), Operating hours: 9p.m. - 9a.m.
  • Seoul Shelter for Women: Shelter for homeless and intellectually disabled women in Seoul. Under the management of Sister Veronica Kim.
  • Korea Legal Aid Corporation (대한법률 구조공단): Offers free legal advice regarding civil, family and sexual harassment. Tel 02-3482-0132 (may not have English speaker available).
  • Ajou University Sexual Violence Counseling Center: Tel 031-219-1745 (may not have English speaker available). Website in Korean only. Email:
  • Hanyang University Gender Inequality Center: Tel 02-2220-1444, 1783 (may not have English speaker available). Website supposedly has information in English, Chinese but looks to be only Korean on quick glance. Consulting can be done by phone and in person.
  • Kookmin University Sexual Violence Counseling Center: Tel 02-910-4231~2 (may not have English speaker available). Website is in Korean only. Email: Consulting can be done by phone, e-mail and in person.
  • Seoul National University Center for Sexual Assault Prevention: Tel 02-880-5073 (may not have English speaker available). Website is in Korean only. Email: , online counseling in English is possible. Consulting can be done by phone, in person and e-mail.
  • Yonsei University Sexual Violence Counseling Center: Tel 02-2123-2118 (may not have English speaker available). Website is in Korean only. Email: Consulting can be done by phone, in person and e-mail.

Note: Thanks to Korea4Expats[14] for providing much of this information!


List of Additional Resources