Gynopedia needs your support! Please consider contributing content, translating a page, or making a donation today. With your support, we can sustain and expand the website. Gynopedia has no corporate sponsors or advertisers. Your support is crucial and deeply appreciated.


From Gynopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
  • For yeast infections, you should be able to buy Canesten in Australia pharmacies or online at Chemist Warehouse. Regarding the HPV vaccine, Australia is incredibly proactive and has vaccination programs in place for both girls and boys. For more info on Australia's HPV vaccination program, check out this link. For most STI/STD medications, you will need to first visit a physician for a prescription, which you can then usually fill at hospitals or pharmacies.
  • Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is available, but the drugs are extremely expensive and require a medical prescription. You can order the drug online as importation is permitted under the Personal Importation Scheme Rules set by the Therapeutic Goods Administration. Only a three month supply for personal use is permitted. According to PrEPWatch: "There are three ongoing demonstration projects in Australia—VicPrEP in MSM, transgender women, heterosexual serodiscordant couples and people who received N-PEP on more than two occasions; PRELUDE in men and women at high and ongoing risk of HIV; and EPIC-NSW enrolling high-risk, mostly gay and bisexual men in New South Wales. A fourth demonstration project, PrEPX, will start later this year. The Therapeutic Goods Administration has approved daily oral Truvada for HIV prevention."[1]
  • You can be assessed for Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) at sexual health clinics, doctors (including some general practitioners) who specialise in HIV/AIDS, and hospital accident and emergency departments (which are open 24 hours). There are sexual health (MSHC) centres, which are walk-in clinics providing testing and treatment for sexually transmissible infections. For people with a relevant visa, that have applied for permanent residency or are a visitor from a reciprocal health care agreement country, treatment is given for free, if they hold a Medicare card. You can call PEP Information Line (1800 889 887) for more information.