Gynopedia needs your support! Please consider adding content, translating a page, or making a donation today. With your support, we can sustain and expand the website. Gynopedia has no corporate sponsors or advertisers. Your support is crucial and deeply appreciated.
- In Korean, birth control pills are 피임약 (pronounced "pi-im yak"), and they can be purchased in pharmacies. The most popular brand in South Korea is Mercilon (머시론), which is produced by Merck (an American pharmaceutical company). However, there are many other pill options, including Alesse, Diane-35, Meliane, Minivlar, Minulet, Myvlar, Sexcon, Triquilar, Yasmin and Yaz. There's also 에이리스, which is a low hormone option, costs about 10,000 won for a 21-pill pack. Another brand is 멜리안정 (me-li-an-jung), but some users have reported loss of sex drive. There's also 센스리베.
- You can purchase condoms in convenience stores, pharmacies, Olive Young, Watson's, and sometimes in subway vending machines.
- You can get the Nuvaring in South Korea, but only at large pharmacies and they need to order it one day in advance because it is a rare request. It is not kept in stock. It considered only for young women, so a pharmacy near a university is a good option. One pharmacy that can definitely get it it is the one located next door to Miz Medi hospital on Dogok-ro in Daechi-dong, half way between the Hanti and Daechi stops. Please note that NuvaRing is NOT covered by the Korean national insurance, unlike other birth controls. Nuvaring will be discontinued in June, 2018.
- If you want the contraceptive patch, Evra (produced by Janssen-Cilag) should be available in South Korea.
- If you want the contraceptive implant, Implanon (produced by Merck) should be available in South Korea.
- As for IUDs in South Korea, one poster on Reddit wrote: "IUDs are great, but the general consensus over here, unlike in the US, is that they're bad for unmarried women, so she may have trouble getting a doctor to consider it here. I had a hospital gynecologist here who tried very hard to convince me to have mine taken out.